November 29, 2010

The Stars And Sky

You flew away on a cloud that night,
I remember it so well.

Your eyes sparkled, your skin was bright,
You were crying, I could tell.

But the stars and sky took off their masks,
And smiled their lovely smile,

And I did too fulfill my task,
And watched you all the while.

I'd held your hand moments before
You'd gone out of my reach,

And from deep down I knew for sure,
I'd taught you all I could teach.

But I knew that you would be okay,
I knew that long ago.

Wise men said you'd go this way,
And I'd watch you from below.

What they didn't tell, I didn't guess,
But now I understand.

I had no idea when I confess,
You would take my hand,

And guide me on along this street,
Nevermind what strength or speed,

And when collapsed with blistering feet,
I'd let you take the lead.

One day, I know, you'd wait for me,
Like I would wait for you,

And together we will join the stars,
And take our masks off too.