January 14, 2011

The Waves

For years and years I had the waves
In front of my feet,
And the sounds and sight with them they took,
All seemed far too discreet.

I've come to see that it depends on me,
How I wish to see the world.
The waves at the door were ordinary,
The smell of salt always there.

You learn to love that which you're given
The moment it's taken away.
It may be gone for weeks, no, years,
Decades, just very long.

The hours the day you return,
Oh I've done it before.
You'll do your best to drown in the smell,
You'll wrack your brains to spot ever shell.

I sat for ages, taking it in,
As wave upon wave
They laughed and played,
And came to life and crept away again.

For years and years I had the waves
In front of my feet,
And the sounds and sight
so very grand
rolled and stumbled
in the heat.