November 29, 2010

I Want To Be A Poet

I want to be a poet.
My fingers are crossed,
My heart’s in the game
I’m going to be a poet.

Mommy told me, “No.”
What if those stupid people
begin to throw their rocks at you?
So Mommy told me, “No.”

Daddy said, “No way!
Who’s going to pay your bills?
Who’s going to pay your rent?”
So Daddy says, “No way.”

My teacher thinks I’m mad.
She “knows” that it will never work –
She “knows” that I won’t make it.
So my teacher thinks I’m mad.

The world is up against me.
I don’t write the way
they want me to, or how is “right”.
So the world is up against me.

I want to be a poet.
I care what Mommy says, she only means well.
I know what Daddy says is true, true as hell.
I listen to my teacher, with her interests in mind,
And the world is the largest foe that I am going to find.

But I want to be a poet.
I know that this is true,
So I’m going to be a poet!
Just like you.