November 29, 2010

Jero

I looked into his eyes – comforting and endless, so that to gaze into them was to receive a glimpse of the infinite one-ness of the entire universe. And, like all eyes, they described their owner just as well. He was one of those people who drew nothing but happiness and knowledge towards him, and likewise, gave nothing but happiness and knowledge to those around him in return. He loved, and he believed, and he understood – one of the rarities born on this planet who do. An angel.
***
He was, also, the centre of gravity of our family, and like a black-hole, he was what held us together. Not that there was anything to tear us apart, but if there came such a situation, he would be our strength.
I’d never seen him crying. I had seen him close his eyes, questioning the divine about another mystery he had not yet figured out, I suppose – in such a way that I know he needed a moment to himself. That, yes. But no, never crying. At least not because something troubled him, or upset him. I can only remember those eyes being tearful because we laughed too much, or because he was exceptionally proud..
So I looked into his eyes, through my own tears. His look of surprise vanished within seconds, and then he was hugging me, and telling me it was going to be alright. This was Jeremy – Jero, for short. My brother.