November 29, 2010

The Waiting

The waiting is always the worst.

Impatience has a disgusting way of plunging you into near madness.

Mind blurred with anticipation,

but no, the time is not here.
Thirteen hours, fourteen minutes.

Close your eyes, try to sleep.
But it's been so long.
What's changed? What is the same?

Twelve hours, fifty-four minutes.

Get some sleep, you'll need it.
But why only tomorrow?
Why not today?
Do you really want me to suffocate?

Eleven hours, twenty-three minutes.
Do you think he still plays with toys?
Does he still sing at the top of his voice?
Anticipation bordering on fear.
Confusion.

Ten hours and one minute.
Really, just get some rest.
If only it were that easy.
But it would be without the questions.
So many questions.
So so many.

Nine and a half hours.
Well now's the time for the necessary eight hours.
Just try.
Oh, tried I have, and how.
Will he be happy?
Sleep is near.
But will he be happy to see me?

Eight hours, nine minutes.
Really don't worry so much.
Don't worry? Really? You try this some time.
What if he's not happy?
He had to leave something to get here.
Don't worry?
Does he want to hold my hand?
What if he doesn't?

Seven hours, forty-eight minutes.
What if he doesn't want to see me?
Is there someone he wants to see more that he wants to see me?
Can someone steal him from me?
I have to know.
I cannot wait anymore.
I have to know.
Now.

Six hours, fifty-nine minutes.
Sleep, sweet sleep drifts over.
Silent mind, peaceful.

Five hours, eighteen minutes.
Dreams of flowers.
Dreams of dreams.

Four hours, six minutes.
Sweet oblivion.
Ignorance.

Three hours, thirty-nine minutes.
Sheep over fences.
Warm, pleasant thoughts.

Two hours.
Open your eyes.
Focus your mind.
Hold it.
Breathe.
What is going on?
What about my preparation?
I don't know what I'm up against!

Less than an hour.
Why will nobody help me?
How am I supposed to know what to do?
He won't want to see me.
Here comes someone.
Oh, it's you.

Yes it's me.
I wanted to tell you.
There's been a problem.
He's coming
a little later.
About a day.
Later.

The waiting is always the worst.